Monday, June 17, 2013

HOW TO AVOID A STREAKY MESS



Hi loves

We all know that "white nails" is today's trend and we have been seeing it everywhere in the blogging world and in the magazines. I have always loved white nails and have been wearing white polish for the longest time. There is just something about "white nails" that looks fresh and clean and not to mention it goes with every outfit. Bonus right?! Opaque white pops against every skin tone and it gives your hands a bold statement.

 I can tell you that some of the more "opaque" formulas out there are almost as tricky to apply. I don't know about you but I absolutely hate applying polish and having it streak. You know what I mean? It's so annoying.

Here are a few key steps to prevent a streaky-mess!


First, you want to pick your potency
                    

   SHEER           OPAQUE
  
                          
{1} Apply Base Coat


With a difficult colour like white, a good base coat will help chip-proof the polish and allow it to go on more smoothly. A great choice is nails inc from Sephora or Essie's base coat. 

{2} Add Polish


Any opaque white polish will do.
Carefully wipe the brush to remove access polish and apply just three strokes: one down the middle and one on each side {avoiding the cuticles of course}. If it looks streaky, don't worry as this is just your primer.

{3} Mattify


"This is the most important step"
In between layers of polish, apply a mattifying base coat. This will help minimize any residual streaking during your last coat of polish.

{4} Reapply Polish


Now this is the best part: your second coat of polish.
When you apply this coat, watch how nicely it brushes on. Your nail polish will look super opaque and "streak- free."

{5} Top Coat


Paint on a shiny top coat for the perfect finish and now you're ready for a night on the town.

There you have it. Now don't you want to try it?


11 comments:

  1. I've been avoiding white polish because of the streaks, now I can just follow your tips. Thanks! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should really try a top coat. I don't even have one! And my polish this week is terrible. Looks like a 5 year old did it.

    Amy


    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally going to try this out!

    P.S. I'm giving away EIGHT sponsors spots today and I would love for you to come enter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post - I absolutely love white nails! When I do them super fast, I always have streaks and have to reapply.

    New arrivals just in | Shop Cbiji Collection
    http://cbijicollection.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. really great post, I never get my polish quite right;)
    xx Kate

    The Style Department

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea! No wonder my white polish never looks good! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to paint my nails white, they are so pretty!

    -Vogue&Heels
    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love white nails. But I'm pretty much not good enough at it do it myself. Professional manicure for sure, though!

    Style by Joules

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love Essie good to go! It is all I will use for topcoat!

    Kendra

    www.beautybykendrac.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the mid-matte step ;] white nails are definitely in my top 5 colors especially with a tan!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    XO
    The Parlor Girl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love your comments and read each and every one xo.