Monday, February 17, 2014

MAC PREP + PRIME HIGHLIGHTER





Over the past few weeks, I have been having some under eye circles and haven't been looking "awake" and bright eyed like I use to. I have been getting a good amount of sleep but for some reason, no matter how much concealer I use, I still look tired and not myself.

I was on a mission to find a brightener that I could use under my eyes as well as other area's on my face. I have heard great reviews and have even tried a few samples of the Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat luminizing pen which is an amazing product and I really liked it but I wanted to try something else and something a little cheaper. I ended up going to MAC instead and I was looking at the Prep + Prime Hightlighter in the colour "Light Boost." They have a tone of different colours depending on your skin tone.

I have a slight pink/purple undertone under my eyes, so I wasn't able to get the Prep + Prime in Radiant Rose like I wanted to. I really wanted something brightening which would have been the Radiant Rose but because I already have a slight pink/purple undertone under my eyes, that colour wouldn't have worked for me. If you don't have any pink or purple undertones, than you could totally get away with that colour but if you are like me, then you have to go with a colour that is more of a yellow tone to cancel out the pink/purple tone.

Let me just say that this highlighting pen in Light boost is a-m-a-z-i-n-g and what a difference it has made under my eyes. I look so much more awake and it has really improved the appearance of my under eye circles. I would definitely say that this highlighting pen is very comparable to the Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat and it's cheaper also which is a bonus!!

Not only do I use this highlighting pen under my eyes, I also use it to highlight my face as well.

Here is how I use it:

Eyes:

I use this highlighting pen two ways depending on what my under eyes look like that day.
I will either wear the Prep + Prime alone or if I look really tired, I will apply my skin toned under eye concealer on first and blend that in and afterwards I apply the Prep + Prime Highlighter in Light Boost over top and blend that all in.

You could set your under eyes with a translucent powder afterwards which I do sometimes but a lot of times I don't because this highlighter gives a nice sheen and I don't want to cover that up since this product is suppose to highlight and make you more awake with the brightening affects of the product.

Face:

I will apply it to the tops of my cheek bones, creating a "C" shape around my eye, including my temples and just above my brows. I will also add a little bit down the bridge of my nose as well as my cupids bow {above the lip}.

I love that this is a multi-purpose product and I can use it on all areas of my face. This product has been a life saver and I don't think I could ever not use an under eye brightener after using this product. Even if you don't have under eye circles or discolouration under your eyes, this product will still work and make you even more bright eyed and awake looking. 

11 comments:

  1. I've heard about this product so much! I really need to go to Mac and get properly matched so I can pick one up!

    x. Sabrina | Simply Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey doll! Saw the post and had to comment..I have used the mac prep and prime (in the yellow and also the rose color) for quite some time and really liked it. Recently, I discovered the new smashbox BB cream for under eyes. It's like an eye cream/ primer with SPF/concealer...and it's the most amazing product I've ever used. I have a permanent black eye (car accident) and it's the perfect combo with concealer over it. Can't keep the secret to myself! Xxrachael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried mac because I know I will fall in love and my hubby would kill me if I spent that much on makeup!

    $100 Giveaway

    Makeover With Aspen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley I love your review I got the beauty blender I guess I''m going to have to get this primer as well O have the worst dark circles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I will have to try the Mac Prep & Prime... love my YSL but it's spendy!!

    Sequins&Stilettos


    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to purchase one just for those rough days. I don't like having dark circles and Im glad you said it is amazing, need to give it a try.

    -Vogue&Heels

    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried this product. I use the bare minerals well rested. I will say that as I age, I find these sort of issues (like under eye puffs and dark circles) seem to multiply and pop up all over the place. Yikes! I could also be something you are not getting enough of in your diet. Either way, you still always look amazing and you are definitely one to find a solution to whatever pops up:)
    Great post!
    XO, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh I feel like I need this! I've had bad undereye circles my entire life (no matter if I'm getting sleep or not), so often concealer doesn't cut it. MAC products are always so good too I feel like!

    ~Jacy
    www.lovelenore.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this in Radiant Rose and absolutely love it! It's quickly becoming my go-to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I swear by Touche Eclat and Mac's Prep & Prime. I like to contour with the prep & prime and use it as highlighter while I just like to brighten the entire under eye area with the Touche Eclat <3

    http://www.cindyslittleblackbook.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love your comments and read each and every one xo.